A Russian Olympic gymnast is lucky to be alive after failing to realize her apartment was on fire because she has lost her sense of smell due to COVID-19, according to a report.
Rhythmic gymnast Daria Shkurikhina, 30, who won a gold medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, said she had been “very stupid” to light a candle and leave it unattended, East2West News reported.
The athlete said she failed to smell the smoke after her cat apparently knocked over the candle and flames swept through her apartment in the city of Nizhny Novgorod.
“Soon after lighting the candle, I saw smoke creeping across the ceiling, already in the kitchen,” she said, according to the outlet. “I still cannot smell after suffering from COVID-19.”
Fortunately, a neighbor called the fire department and she was able to escape the raging inferno, which destroyed her apartment and could also have ravaged her neighborhood.
“Acrid smoke” prevented Shkurikhina from reaching her