Husband recounts wife’s tragic scuba dive death 40 years ago at same Maldives spot that killed 5 Italian tourists

Husband recounts wife’s tragic scuba dive death 40 years ago at same Maldives spot that killed 5 Italian tourists


image

The husband of a woman who died scuba diving over 40 years ago at the same Maldives spot that claimed the lives of five Italian tourists said his wife was only supposed to go to 65 feet, but a guide took her more than 175 feet underwater.

Giorgio Bettin’s wife Anna Maria Pistolato, an underwater photographer, dived the same Vaavu Atoll as the group, when the couple were newlyweds on vacation in the Maldives on Jan. 11, 1983.

Trending: Prominent House Democrat To Seek Re-Election In Another District After Passage Of New Congressional Map

“It was supposed to be a short dive, but I never saw my wife alive again,” Bettin told Italy’s Il Gazzettino, as a criminal investigators in Rome probe who made the decision for a group to explore a cave 160 feet underwater May 14 without the required training, permit or equipment.

Giorgio Bettin’s wife died 40 years ago in the same spot that claimed the lives of five Italian tourists last week.
Continue reading

 

Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!