A woman is thankful she was able to help save an elderly veteran when his camper caught fire last week in Walnut Cove, North Carolina.
Twenty-three-year-old Allie Richardson was visiting friends at Jim Booth’s Catfish Pond on Tuesday when the unthinkable happened, according to WXII.
Around 4:30 p.m., she and another man noticed the camper next door was on fire and the two rushed over and went inside.
“(I) opened the camper and it was like whoosh! — bunch of black smoke. Like, crazy,” Richardson recalled.
Black smoke and flames surrounded them as they searched for the man, named William, who lived inside. However, when they found him he was not moving.
Richardson removed his oxygen tubes and with the other man’s help, moved William off the bed.
“He couldn’t walk. He couldn’t save himself. I had [to] do everything I could to help him,” she said.
While the other