The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday called on the world to pause on the distribution of coronavirus booster shots, contending that wealthier countries must first address “at risk people around the world who are yet to receive their first dose.”
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who called for a moratorium on booster shots last month, said he has seen “little change in the global situation since then” and added that “the inequitable distribution of life-saving tools is driving a two-track pandemic.”
As such, Tedros is asking wealthy countries to wait until the new year to begin giving booster shots to “healthy people who are fully vaccinated.”
“We don’t want any more promises … We just want the vaccines,” he said.
“Third doses may be necessary for the most at-risk populations where there is evidence of waning immunity,” Tedros said. “But for now, we do not want to