A former top information technology official at the Department of Defense says he quit because the U.S. has all but lost the upcoming cyberwar with China.
“We have no competing fighting chance against China in 15 to 20 years. Right now, it’s already a done deal; it is already over in my opinion,” Nicolas Chaillan told the Financial Times in an interview published Sunday.
Chaillan resigned last month, saying the Pentagon put “laggards” in charge of cyberprojects for which they had no expertise.
“[W]e are setting up critical infrastructure to fail,” he said in his letter of resignation.
“We would not put a pilot in the cockpit without extensive flight training; why would we expect someone with no IT experience to be close to successful? …