President Trump’s push to include South Korea in an upcoming Group of Seven summit is triggering backlash from Japan and threatening to reignite tensions that soared between Tokyo and Seoul last year.
A high level Japanese official has expressed discontent to U.S. officials over Mr. Trump’s late-May announcement that he hoped to add South Korea and others, including Australia, Russia and India, to the invite list for the summit likely to be held in September.
Diplomatic sources told Japan’s Kyodo News Agency on condition of anonymity that the Japanese official lamented that South Korea is not in lockstep with the G-7 on Chinese and North Korean issues. The official was reportedly told by the U.S. side that any final decision on the issue would rest with Mr. Trump.
There has been no comment on the matter from the White House since Kyodo published an article on the matter Sunday, although South Korean officials were outraged. South Korea’s Yonhap News