It’s been five years since Oakley Debbs’ tragic death over the Thanksgiving holiday. Oakley would be 16 now if he hadn’t suffered anaphylactic shock from an allergy to nuts.
Debbs was an 11-year-old from West Palm Beach, Florida. He was a straight-A student, happy and a great athlete. He played soccer, tennis, flag football and ran marathons.
In 2016, his family took a vacation to Maine for the holiday. One night, Debbs ate some cake that contained nuts.
Debbs had asthma and had tested positive for a mild allergy to tree nuts and peanuts. After eating the cake, he began having a slight reaction. He had one hive on his lip, so his mother, Merrill, gave him some Benadryl pills, an antihistamine, and he felt