Guest post by Lawrence Sellin and Siqi Chen
Officially known by the harmless name, the Epidemic Prevention and Water Purification Department of the Kwantung Army in Manchuria, Unit 731 was actually a covert biological and chemical warfare research and development center of the Imperial Japanese Army during World War Two.
When the Chinese Communist Party subjugated mainland China in 1949, the People’s Liberation Army took control of Unit 731 and the Institute of Horse Disease, Continental Academy of Sciences, also founded by the Imperial Japanese Army in Manchuria.
According to the memoirs of the Japanese Kwantung Army, veterinary research and military horse healthcare were used as covers to hide the true purpose of the Manchurian facilities, the study and production of biological weapons.
It appears that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army adopted, not only its resources, but also the modus operandi of the Imperial Japanese Army.
In 1953, the four People’s Liberation Army Veterinary Universities in China were