Earlier this year, a young wheaten terrier was living his life in Arizona with his family. One of the well-known dangers of the area (besides snakes and heat) is cacti.
Somehow, the pup managed to get a cactus needle embedded in his foot, and it ended up nearly killing him.
“I stepped on a cactus needle and for whatever reason, it was not adequately cared for and became infected,” a post on the pup’s Instagram reads. “I developed a blood clot and unfortunately my leg cannot be saved.”
The owners, faced with a hefty vet bill of over $12,000 and extensive care for the injured dog, had two choices if they couldn’t foot the bill themselves: surrender him in the hopes that a group who could pay for the needed medical attention would select him, or have him humanely euthanized.