Talk about bad timing.
Spanish golfer Jon Rahm was forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament on Saturday after he tested positive for COVID-19, the PGA Tour announced.
At the time, Rahm was leading the tournament that golf legend Jack Nicklaus oversees — by six strokes, a lead that often holds up with just 18 holes left to play Sunday. The winner’s share of the purse is $1,674,000.
“I’m very disappointed in having to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament,” he said in a statement posted on Twitter Saturday. “This is one of those things that happens in life, one of those moments where how we respond to a setback defines us as people. I’m very thankful that my family and I are all OK.”
Thoughts after today’s round pic.twitter.com/gWkBAWE42F
— Jon Rahm Rodriguez (@JonRahmpga) June 6, 2021
The PGA Tour said Rahm was “placed in contact tracing protocols on Monday after officials learned he had been in close contact with someone who was Covid-19 positive,” CNN reported.