DETROIT — Just hours before another shutdown, a Michigan restaurant trade group sued Tuesday to try to stop a ban on indoor dining, attacking the latest restrictions from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s administration in response to a wave of coronavirus cases.
The Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association said it made “several good-faith efforts” to reach a compromise with the state health department before the three-week policy was announced Sunday night. The group said its members could have further reduced risk while keeping their dining rooms open.
Without court intervention, the ban on indoor dining could lead to the “outright devastation” of restaurants and their thousands of employees, said Justin Winslow, the association’s president.
A similar ban was in place for nearly three months earlier this year.
“It is legal to get a tattoo or haircut but not eat a meal indoors at a restaurant,” the lawsuit said.
The lawsuit asks a federal judge in western Michigan to grant an injunction