Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI) extended her lockdown of Michigan restaurants Wednesday as her original “three week pause” stretched into a twelfth week.
Whitmer relaxed previous orders banning group exercise classes and non-contact sports, but extended the mandated closure of in-person dining at restaurants and bars until at least February 1.
“The efforts we have made together to protect our families, frontline workers and small business owners are working,” Whitmer said, NBC 6 reported.
The original “pause” was announced in November and the extension was the third such one.
“While there has been a slight uptick in our percent positivity rate, our cases per million have plateaued and more hospital beds are becoming available. Today, we are confident that MDHHS [Michigan Department of Health and Human Services] can lift some of the protocols that were previously in place,” she said.
“We are reopening cautiously because caution is working to save lives,”