After the intersection in Minneapolis known as “George Floyd Square” became a focus of the world last year, the city is finally beginning plans to reopen the area to traffic with the help of a peacekeeping group.
On Thursday, Minneapolis crews began to take away a large part of the memorial that was created over the past year at the intersection of 38th and Chicago in the southern area of the city where Floyd died.
The Star Tribune reported, “Municipal workers began the process about 4:30 a.m. at 38th and Chicago — dubbed George Floyd Square — with community representatives involved in coordinating the removal of flowers, artwork and variously sized barriers and shacks, said city spokeswoman Sarah McKenzie.”
Protesters made their voices heard as the crews worked, setting up a barrier while a small group reportedly called out, “no justice, no peace.”
McKenzie said that Agape, a peacekeeping group that employs some former gang members from the area, entered into a contract