A screen grabbed tweet shared on Facebook claims that a man died “after taking malaria medication touted by Trump as possible cure for coronavirus.”
The man died after ingesting a fish tank solvent containing chloroquine phosphate. Though the fish tank solvent has the same active ingredient as the anti-malaria drug chloroquine, they are formulated differently and not the same.
Banner Health, an Arizona-based health care company, announced Monday that a husband and wife were hospitalized after consuming a solvent containing chloroquine phosphate that they thought would protect them from the new coronavirus. The husband died shortly after arriving at the hospital.
The story was picked up by numerous media outlets, including The Hill, which originally tweeted its article out with the caption, “Man dies after taking malaria medication touted by Trump as possible cure for coronavirus.” However, the tweet from The Hill was quickly deleted, likely because it was factually inaccurate.
The Arizona couple ingested a parasite treatment containing a non-medical form of chloroquine that they had previously used to treat their koi fish. The wife of the deceased man told NBC News that they mixed a small amount of the