More than 170 new applications for the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that protects some young illegal immigrants known as “Dreamers” from deportation have been approved since November, according to a report on Tuesday.
The Department of Homeland Security said in court documents that 171 applications were OK’d between Nov. 14 and the end of 2020, while 121 applications were denied and 369 were rejected.
In total, 2,713 applications were submitted.
The US Supreme Court ruled in June that President Trump violated federal law in ending the program in 2017, but acting Homeland Security Director Chad Wolf said his agency wouldn’t accept new applications and would only grant renewals for one year instead of two.
In November, US District Judge in Brooklyn Nicholas Garaufis said because Wolf had assumed his position unlawfully, he was unable to suspend the program.
The federal government didn’t appeal Garaufis’ November decision and the judge last month ordered two-year renewals be reinstated