A 12-year-old Colorado boy was reportedly left brain dead after using a shoelace in the “Blackout Challenge,” which dares people to choke themselves until they lose consciousness.
Joshua Haileyesus, who was found by his twin brother passed out on his bathroom floor on March 22, has since been declared brain dead – and doctors told the family to prepare to say their goodbyes, Fox 19 reported.
“He’s a fighter. I can see him fighting. I’m praying for him every day,” said Joshua’s father, Haileyesus Zeryihun, according to the outlet.
“It’s just heartbreaking to see him laying on the bed,” he said. “I was begging them on the floor, pleading to see if they can give me some time, not to give up on him. If I just give up on him, I feel like I’m just walking away from my son.”
Family friend Hirut Yitayew told The Denver Channel that he “can’t even describe the grief and the devastation.