Child dies from brain-eating amoeba after playing at splash pad

Child dies from brain-eating amoeba after playing at splash pad


A boy died from a brain-eating amoeba he picked up while playing at a Texas splash pad, authorities said.

Health officials determined the unidentified child “likely” contracted Naegleria fowleri during a visit to Don Misenhimer Park in Arlington, prompting the city to close all public splash pads for the rest of the year, officials said.

Deputy City Manager Lemuel Randolph said “gaps” in water inspection systems were identified as part of a probe into the child’s illness.

Trending: REPORT: Vaccinated Delta Pilot Dies Mid-Flight, Plane Makes Emergency Landing

“Those gaps resulted in us not meeting our maintenance standards at our splash pads,” Randolph said in a statement.

“All of the splash pads will remain closed until we have assurance that our systems are operating as they should, and we have confirmed a maintenance protocol consistent with city, county and state standard.”

The kid was hospitalized Sept. 5 with a rare infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis and died on Sept. 11, the city of Arlington said in a news

Continue reading

You Might Like

 

Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!

Thanks for sharing!
Send this to a friend