$800 million cut memo sends message to balance budget: Pritzker

$800 million cut memo sends message to balance budget: Pritzker


(The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker says the message being sent by a memo directing state agencies to anticipate $800 million less to spend than what he proposed is that he will not sign an unbalanced budget. 

In February, Pritzker proposed spending $52.7 billion. Last week, his administration sent agency directors a memo saying the $1 billion in tax increases he proposed aren’t popular and to anticipate they won’t be approved. 

“And so we’ve got to balance the budget and that’s the real message that I think everyone in the legislature knows that I’m sending,” Pritzker said at an unrelated event in Chicago Monday. 

Trending: Federal Investigation Launched Against Small Town That Rejected Electronic Voting

Included in the pushback Pritzker said he’s heard about his proposed tax increases were those that doubled the tax on sports betting

Continue reading


 

Join the conversation!

Please share your thoughts about this article below. We value your opinions, and would love to see you add to the discussion!