As many as 50,000 alleged sex-abuse victims are expected to go after the Boy Scouts of America in court ahead of a November legal deadline, as a shocking new study concludes scouting just isn’t safe for kids.
Since the Boys Scouts of America’s February bankruptcy filing, about 35,000 alleged victims across the nation have filed claims, with “thousands” more emerging each week ahead of the Nov. 16 deadline.
“People are just coming forward in droves,” said lawyer Andrew Van Arsdale, whose AVA Law firm has joined with two other firms to create the coalition Abused in Scouting.
The sheer number of Boy Scout victims so far has dwarfed similar cases, noted lawyer Jason Amala of the firm Pfau, Cochran, Vertetis, Amala.
“It’s three to four times the claims filed in all the Catholic bankruptcies combined,” Amala said.
Advocacy group Child USA used anonymous data from 1,576 Abused in Scouting plaintiffs to compile a chilling look at sex abuse in